Monday, August 28, 2006

Air Show Weekend

As many of you know, I really like bright shiny things. My favorite bright shiny things are airplanes. So this Saturday, I'm headed to the Cleveland National Air Show. Among other performances, I'll see an F-22 Raptor flyby and what I'm anticipating will be a stellar performance by the U.S. Navy Blue Angels. After seeing the Blue Angels and the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds perform back to back at the Dayton Air Show a few years ago, I can say that the Blue Angles put on a much more thrilling performance. Maybe it's just the speed and agility of the F-18s over the F-16s used by the Thunderbirds or maybe making carrier landings just makes for bolder pilots.

3 Comments:

At 8/28/2006 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

F18s are nice aircraft. Dual engines make for better power to weight too I think, although the F16 should have the edge in handling (at least originally) because of the fly-by-wire technology when it was designed 30 years ago.

When do you think the thunderbirds will switch to F22s?

 
At 8/29/2006 10:20 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Jared, this sounds almost as exciting as my planned activity for Saturday: reading another couple chapters of Hursthouse's On Virtue Ethics.

I know you'll have an amazing time, and I wish I didn't have any other commitments to keep me from going with you to the air show.

 
At 8/29/2006 2:37 PM, Blogger jared said...

bd: I think it will be a while before we see the Thunderbirds in F-22s. The F-22 is a replacement for the F-15, not the F-16. Although the F-22 is a lot more agile than the F-15, it's not nearly as agile as the much smaller F-16. Plus, there's little need for supersonic speeds at air show performances.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home