Monday, June 26, 2006

Biking to Church

I live about eight miles outside of town, about ten to my church via the back roads. My friend, Jen, rides her bicycle about that distance to work every day. So, I thought it would be fun to make the trek to church together yesterday. Now, this is no momentous task as I regularly ride farther on mountain bike trails, but I figured Jen would give me a run for my money on her home turf. Just writing this, I realize how competitive I can be. It really was just a leisurely ride, but put a big hill in front of me and something very aggressive switches on. Anyway, this isn't about my competition complex, I'm really just writing to reflect on a really fun day that included a hefty amount of cycling, a rockin' church service, and a World Cup game on the big screen at BW3. Can there be a better day spent with better friends? I think not.

3 Comments:

At 6/26/2006 11:20 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I think YOU gave ME a run for my money on my own turf. I am properly humbled. Your "leisurely" ride I found challenging, but still fun.

Though I admit, I'm really interested to see how I would do against you if I too had clipless pedals and a bike of comparable quality and weight. Anyone want to fund this experiment, purely in the interests of science? ;)

I agree it was an awesome day. A good bike ride with a friend is the perfect way to get to church. And Paul, you preached a great non-sermon. The world cup game was fun, even if Ecuador lost.

 
At 6/26/2006 4:42 PM, Blogger paul said...

ah yes... you know it's trash talk when you work in clipless pedals.

 
At 6/26/2006 10:40 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Okay, you called me on it, Paul: in my imaginary world where I have an awesome bike with clipless pedals, Jared will be left struggling up the hills behind me. I guess he's not the only one with a competitive streak ;)

But even if I can never keep up with you on the hills, Jared, you're still really fun to ride with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home