The Dark Island
I've been reading again - an odd thing that I seem to be doing more of instead of less. I just finished The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis. As the Dawn Treader is approaching a great Darkness in the sea, the Captain has decided they dare not go into the Darkness. "But what manner of use would it be plowing through that blackness?" asked Drinian. Then perhaps the best answer I've ever heard to the question, "what use is it?" "Use?" replied Reepicheep. "Use, Captain? If by use you mean filling our bellies or our purses, I confess it will be of no use at all. So far as I know we did not set sail to look for things useful but to seek honor and adventure. And here is a great adventure as ever I heard of, and here, if we turn back, no little impeachment of all our honors."

2 Comments:
I just love those books
Makes me wonder how often I don't do something because I can't see the use or what I might gain by it....It's not something I ask myself normally (I want to see a purpose in what I do), and I'm thinking maybe I should start.
Grrr! Karl Marx had no idea what he was saying when he called religion the opiate of the masses. It feels more like climbing a mountain: it gets harder and steeper the higher you get, and every time you get round the next bend in the path, you realize once again that you are NOWHERE near the top.
I do like the Narnia books, but my favorite CS Lewis work of fiction is Till We Have Faces.
Post a Comment
<< Home