Putting our Faith to Work
About five years ago, I attended a workshop on using media in the church at Ginghamsburg Church in Tipp City, Ohio. They showed many of the graphics they had created, including a simple scan of a newspaper layout. One page showed an ad for an expensive sedan, while the opposite page was a story about poverty in Sudan. Mike Slaughter, Ginghamsburg's pastor, couldn't help but notice the irony of that page spread, and shared this with his congregation in his sermon. That image apparently never left Mike's mind. In 2004, Ginghamsburg took up an offering of $317,000 to hep the people of Sudan plant crops and obtain basic needs. That project is continuing today in partnership with UMCOR. Learn more about the Sudan Project at Ginghamsburg Church. At least take a few minutes to watch the video. There are so many ways to be the ambassadors of Jesus in today's world. God is calling each of us to be obedient to Him. The point of all of this is that these men and women listened to what God was saying to them, but they didn't stop there. They acted on what they had heard - they put their faith to work. What has God been saying to you lately? How are you putting that into action?
"Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead." James 2:17b

3 Comments:
yep
this is more in response to "blogging paul" and the whole significance factor. i am also a graphic designer and i often feel like the industry that i am benefiting with my design is so bad b/c it's all about materialism, and i often wrestle with the idea that i am promoting ungodly behavior.
the only way that makes me calm about what i do, is that i try to be a light for His purposes to the people around me. sometimes it's hard as all get out- but other times, i can really see that God is making a difference (even if it is slight- b/c seeds are just as important).
so if you wanna talk shop or whatever... i'm here (btw- do you know how to do much with flash?)
I'm realizing that I need to do what I'm called to do right where I am for now, but there will be a time when I will have to take those experiences into a new environment. My hope is that my time here would not be wasted dreaming of the future, but building that future and preparing for it.
I do a bit with Flash. I've developed a few sites with Flash including Green Skies Productions, Appalachian Discovery, and Muskingum River Watershed. I'm really more of a front-end designer/scripter than a back-end programmer, but I do both well enough. The trouble is that this doesn't excite me as much as it used to.
Post a Comment
<< Home