Too little time
I've been thinking for a while now that there are just too few hours in a day. I mean, what was God thinking? He should know that if I'm supposed to eat, sleep, work, serve him, enjoy relationships and recreation, and keep up with daily life tasks, I'll need at least 27 hours per day. Some of my friends are pushing for 36 hour days, but I'd be happy with 30. I cancelled my workout tonight for the... well more times than I care to count because I was just too busy. I'm tired of being busy. I'm tired of being tired. Something has to change. I leave for vacation on Tuesday and I'm going to take that time to relax and do some things I haven't had time to do. Then, when I get back, things are going to change. I can't keep living this way. I'm not happy with myself, and I really don't think God's happy with my crazy schedule either. Well, there, I've said it. Something is going to change. So, ask me in two weeks if anything has changed. I might be too busy to answer you right away, but I'll put you on my list. ;-)

13 Comments:
I feel the same way most of the time. And I really would like 36 hour days. That would be nice.
Let me know if you want to park your car at my place next week.
You know, if you started biking to work a few times a week, you wouldn't have to worry about trying to squeeze in work out time. ;)
In my mind, the problem is not with the length of the days, but with the amount of time one is required to spend at work. Far too much of my week is spent rotting in a cubicle....
I hope you have a great and relaxing time on your vacation.
Oh, the above comment was mine. Not sure what happened to my name...
so my first thought was, "hey! more time for jared to hang out and play! ready GO!" but... waitaminutenow... i guess that sort of defeats the purpose a little, filling up newfound time [note: different than newfoundland time], just with different stuff. hmmm.
i'm the master of saying NO and not feeling at all guilty about it. it's the only way i can keep my sanity, really.
I'm pretty sure my life is just a big time vacuum, so no matter what I stop doing, that time will immediately get filled with something else, even if it's just sitting in the corner talking to my cat. It would be more fun if he could talk back.
There must be something wrong with your cat. Maybe lack of a tail affects his vocalization abilities. Because my cats talk back to me all the time. In fact, they occasionally get "smart" with me. Cheeky little b@stards.
Your cat talks to you? Really?
Oh, the comedic possibilities here are endless....
Jared, yea... I understand. There has to be a balance in that work is pre-fall. So the idea of laboring I guess is God's idea. But toil is post fall... so maybe we should enjoy it less... or more.
I think the key to this is doing what you are doing... work hard, play hard. Have times of intensity and then times of stillness. More and more I'm finding that the idea of "balance" is not within a day but a week, year and life. But don't get caught up in someone else's' definition of "abundant life"
yet more reasons to not have cats.
creepy.
yea, i'm not a cat guy. Who da thunk it, eh?
You can't say you don't like cats until you've met Bob (my very affectionate tailless Manx). Ok, so Paul has met him and still doesn't like cats, but he admits to likeing Bob more than any other cat.
so it's been two weeks to the day... anything changed? :P
mdog, that is so unfair, but I guess I asked for it! Well, I did make time to have lunch with a cool friend this week. Next week will be the real test as "normal" starts to set in again. I think I've decided that balanced busyness is okay. I spent some time on vacation with my friends in Texas, a married couple who both work full-time (often more) just to get by. There's nothing in their lifestyle that any American would consider extravegant, but it takes both of their incomes to pay the bills. They have a five-year-old son, and it's clear he is a priority and so is time together as a couple. So they take what time they have left after work and they make that time work for them and their family. They share a single car, so they get up in the morning together and get their son ready for school. They drive him to school and then one drops the other off at work. They follow the same process after work, then they have dinner together and spend time with friends in the evening and weekend times they have free. They'll tell you it's hard sometimes and that they don't have as much down time as they like, but it really is working for them. Jerry just tells me, "you get used to sleeping less," as he laughs.
I struggle with this idea of busyness being inherently bad. I think I do need to be a better steward of my time, including making things like Bible study and workouts more of a priority , but I know that many of the things I'm involved in bring me joy and contribute to the Kingdom of God. That said, some things will be changing in my schedule as a re-prioritize my time a bit. I'm working through figuring those out right now.
I think mdog is on to something:
learn to SAY NO! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home